It's the summer holidays, so we have the time to do stuff like... dig a big pond at the South eLearning Centre! It was supposed to be quite a bit smaller, but we got carried away.
The pond is to be part of our wildlife garden, which we started about a year ago. So far we have let the ground around the centre grow wild - keeping the mowers off, put up some bird feeders (which are very popular with the locals) and installed a nesting box.
The nesting box was an immediate success, as this spring it was used by a pair of great tits to lay 10 eggs, most of which survived to become great balls of fluff!
We were fortunate to see the eggs become chicks via a web cam installed in the box, perhaps you saw them too? There is number of webcams installed to allow online viewing of our garden. At the moment the webcams will only work in Internet Explorer 6 and on Windows XP computers, but we are working on making them more wodely available.
To access our webcams...
- Open Internet Explorer 6 (other browsers might not work at the moment, including later versions of IE))
- Go to http://184.108.40.206/
- If you see a blue screen, you might need to install ActiveX to view the page - get it here.
- Click the 'Connect' button on the right side of the screen.
- You might need to enter "admin1" in the User ID box (on the right) There is no password needed.
- Click on one of the top cameras (C1 or C2)
- Click on PAN/TILT on the right hand side.
- Now you can control the camera - move, zoom, focus! See if you can find the pond!